Monday, September 7, 2009

The "study" part of studying abroad.

So it begins... Classes have officially begun at the JFRC (or the J-Force, as we affectionately call it). No more wandering around Rome everyday and spending all our time researching trips and getting to know people. I've moved past simply the "abroad" portion to also embrace the "study" part of studying abroad.

However, since I am in Italy and my schedule allows for it, I'm only taking 12 hours this semester, which will be a nice break from my usual 15-16 hours. My classes are as follows:
  • Italian III
  • Roman Catholicism
  • Food & Wine of Italy
  • Art in Rome
I've already had all of them except Art In Rome (which is only on Thursdays). So far, they seem like they will all at least be interesting. Italian intimidates me a little bit, I must admit, but I'm hoping that if I just stay focused I'll make it through alright. Roman Catholicism seems pretty straightforward; I don't think it will be too difficult. And of course, Food and Wine should be fun!

I am really excited for Art in Rome though because it's taught almost entirely on site; for example, the day that we learn about the Colosseum, we actually go to the Colosseum. I'm definitely looking forward to it.

Today I went on a small adventure with a few of my friends to the "Bone Church"! (Actual name = Santa Maria della Concezione dei Cappuccini) However, it's nicknamed the Bone Church for one very important reason: the crypt is decorated with the bones of over 4000 monks! You can read more about it/see some pictures here. Pretty crazy stuff. It was certainly a sight to see!

On the way to the Bone Church, we actually stumbled upon another really famous church: San Carlo alla Quattro Fontane. That's one of my absolute favorite things about Rome--how I stumble upon such beauty and history everywhere I go. I am also (finally) the proud owner of a Rome bus map, which is basically a neccesity here. Overall, it was a very successful afternoon!

And... I'm already excited for the weekend!
-megan

1 comment:

  1. ridiculousness. ways jealous over here.
    I have to send you a really long email detailing my life for you. because you neeeed to know.
    (this is sakshi)
    right. ok. bye.

    ReplyDelete